Tuesday, September 10, 2013

One week, and 3 lbs, down!

That catsuit is going to fit puuurrrfect on Halloween if I can keep this up for the next 7 weeks! The food has been awesome, and even though I am limiting myself quite a bit, average of 950 calories and 24 grams of fat a day, I am not starving. I feel like I am eating well, and my energy hasn't tanked...though Jason thinks I am a bit more grumpy LOL. I am really liking the Skinnytaste.com recipes, and myfitnesspal is a great tool for keeping track of everything, and keeping me honest LOL.

Some of the "skinny" crock pot recipes we have tried so far....
Crock pot pulled pork n slaw, I went bunless. So good!

Ingredients:
  • 2.5 lb boneless pork loin roast (center cut, trimmed of all fat)
  • 2 tsp red wine vinegar
  • 2 tsp Hickory liquid smoke
  • 1 tsp garlic powder
  • 1 tsp sea salt
  • 1 cup BBQ sauce
Directions:

Place pork in the slow cooker and season with salt, vinegar, garlic powder and liquid smoke. Cover and set to high 6 hours. Remove pork and transfer onto a large dish; reserve all the liquid into a cup and set aside. Shred the pork with two forks and put it back into the slow cooker along with about 3/4 cup of the reserved liquid and the BBQ sauce (for every 3 oz cooked pork, I used 2 tbsp BBQ sauce). Cook on high one more hour.

For the healthy slaw...
2tbs dijon mustard
2tbs mayo (we use the 1/2 the fat mayo with olive oil)
2tbs red wine vinegar
2tbs canola oil
black pepper to taste
1/2 head red cabbage very thinly sliced
1/2 head green cabbage very thinly sliced
3 carrots cut into thin strips
 
1. Mix the mustard, mayo and vinegar in a bowl. Slowly whisk in the oil. Season with pepper.
2. Combine the cabbages, carrots, and dressing in a large bowl. Toss so that everything is evenly coated and season with more pepper.                          
Not a bad meal for, roughly, 350 calories and 15 grams of fat per serving, albeit small serving!
 
 
 
Another crock pot winner for me! Chicken Cacciatore...skinny!
Ingredients:
  • 8 chicken thighs, with the bone, skin removed (we left the bone in, it adds more flavor and is super easy to remove before eating)
  • 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
  • 1/2 red bell pepper, sliced into strips
  • 1/2 green bell pepper, sliced into strips
  • 1/2 large onion, sliced
  • 1 tsp dried oregano 
  • 1 bay leaf
  • salt and fresh pepper to taste
  • 1/4 cup fresh herbs such as basil or parsley for topping
Directions:
 Season chicken with salt and black pepper and place in the slow cooker. Pour tomatoes over the chicken, top with onions and peppers, add oregano, bay leaf, salt and pepper, give it a quick stir and cover. Set crock pot to LOW 8 hours or HIGH 4 hours. When the timer beeps, remove lid and keep the crock pot on HIGH one hour to help it thicken. Remove bay leaf.


I like this by itself, over rice or even over a small amount of whole grain pasta. 1 thigh, 1/2 cup of sauce and veggies plus 2 oz of whole grain thin spaghetti will only set you back about 330 calorie and 5 grams of fat!

We also tried Crock pot corned beef and cabbage. While it was not my fave, it turned out very good too.
Ingredients:
2 lbs lean corned beef brisket, all fat trimmed off

1 cup frozen pearl onions
2 medium carrots, peeled and cut into chunks
2 medium parsnips, peeled and cut into chunks
1 small head cabbage, cut into 6 wedges
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
2 bay leaves
1/8 tsp whole peppercorns

How to:
In a 5-6 qt crock pot, place brisket, carrots, parsnips, pearl onions, parsley, bay leaves, peppercorns and 3 cups of water. Cover and cook on high 4 hours.
Add cabbage, cook on high 1 hour 20 minutes more. Remove meat, slice and serve. 3 oz brisket and veggies is 300 calories and 17 g fat.


OK enough about food...I'm going to get hungry :)

One of the few things I kept of my Mom's was this ring. She bought it in the 60's from a jeweler and was told it is an Alexandrite. It is a very cool ring, huge...and in 18K yellow gold which I am not a fan of, but beautiful. It changes color in different lighting. Out in the sunshine it is an aqua, blue/green color...in the house and in darker conditions it turns to a purple. I want to send it off to GIA to have it tested, if it is real it would probably be worth thousands of dollars, Alexandrite is rare and the stone is huge. I kinda hope it isn't real so I don't have to wrestle with the idea of selling it, it would be the only fake jewelry I own...but it is truly a cool ring.



For some reason even though to the naked eye it is aqua in day light it only shows up purple in photos. Crazy.

It fits on my right hand ring finger perfectly, but it is hard to take a picture with my left hand LOL.

So pretty.

No comments: