Thursday, June 12, 2014

Birthdays and rescues.*

Jason turned the big 34 today, but he had to work...so the kiddos sent him a little video wishing him Happy Birthday....and asking for cake LOL.

When Jason got home the trio had "gifts" and homemade cards for their Dad. You can see he loved everything, of course :)


Jericho was not all that into this birthday party Hahaha.

He was slightly interested in dinner...and VERY interested in dessert though. Dinner tonight was yummy! We tweaked a "Skinny" recipe just a little. Balsamic chicken with roasted veggies. Yum!!
Ingredients:
10 (20 oz) boneless skinless chicken thighs
20 medium asparagus, ends trimmed, cut in half
3 red bell peppers
1 cup carrots, sliced in half long way
2 red onions, chopped in large chunks
10 oz sliced mushrooms
1/2 cup plus 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp sugar
salt and pepper
3 tbsp fresh rosemary
2 cloves garlic, smashed and sliced
2 tbsp oregano or thyme
4 leaves fresh sage, chopped

Directions:
Preheat oven to 425°.

Wash and dry the chicken well with a paper towel.

Combine all the ingredients together and using your hands and arrange in a very large roasting pan. The vegetables should not touch the chicken or it will steam instead of roast.
All ingredients should be spread out in a single layer. If necessary use two baking sheets or disposable tins to achieve this. Bake for 35 - 40 minutes.
2 thighs plus veggies 347 calories and 17 grams of fat.

Our tweak...we skipped the bell peppers and diced up a couple potatoes instead...that did of course throw off the cal/fat points.

A little ice cream cake....not "Skinny" what so ever LOL!!

The kids were singing him Happy Birthday again.


Later Hayden and Xander were squawking about saving something from the baby pool. They have rescued numerous bugs, I have seen ladybugs, baby dragonflies and even a bee and spider. So when they were all excited about rescuing a dragonfly, that they wanted to show me, I didn't hurry right out. About 5 minutes later I finally made my way out to see what lucky bug they saved, only to rush back inside for my camera to take some pictures of this monster.

At first I thought it was dead, because it was just chilling with them for like 10 minutes, but it wasn't...it even started washing its head.

Nice rescue you guys...wow.

I was impressed, intrigued and grossed out all at the same time. I kept my "ewwws" to myself, didn't want the kids adopting that from me...but the thing was seriously huge, and just BIG, and monstrous LOL.


Glad these things don't bite.




I can't believe how huge this thing was, pretty much the size of Xander's thumb. Wonder if it was old, it seemed much bigger and not as colorful as most dragonflies I have seen. Made me wonder if that is an old age thing.

I asked Hayden if she had held it too, she said yes, twice. She was in the process of getting it from Xander to hold it again when the dragonfly finally flew off.

Haddie decided to play her Dad a birthday tune...one of the kids took this picture with my phone.

Later Jason and I caught Lily taking a ton of photos as she made different facial expressions. So Jason decided to take some with her. Scared.

Angry I think.

Surprised LOL.



































I read a great article today 'It ain't easy having one of "those" kids', it was like...wow, this lady has Jericho's twin LOL. My boys can be a handful, especially my little wild man Jericho, I am still learning to step back and not always feel the need to be on top of my boys and apologize for their totally boy behaviors. They will be just fine, no, they ARE just fine...and I love them.

No comments: