Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Kids do say the, um, darndest things.

Kids really do say the most off the wall things, often with brutal honesty...and zero filter. Most of the time it is funny, but then other times it is ouch worthy. Today Lily and I had one of the more ouch worthy conversations...though I can still laugh about it.

Lily was watching Wreck It Ralph. She tells me she wants to live in a penthouse with her kids when she grows up. So I tell her I don't really like penthouses, no yard, neighbors, rules...bleh. 

My sweet darling child says... 
"No, Mom, not you...me and MY kids, you will be dead then."

Well, thanks for that Bug, hmpffhhh.

Hayden is still a Daddy's girl through and through, today after I made the kids some amazing pancakes (banana with mini M&M's) I jokingly asked who makes the best pancakes Mom or Dad?. Everyone but Haddie said I did. So I had to correct her and let her in on a funny little saying "Mom rules, and Dad drools". She put up such a stink she got all the kids on her side, then my little angel's...who I carried and have loved and nurtured every day of their lives started saying "Mom drools, and Dad rules" that is gratitude for you. Turds!

Later, still stinging from my drooling status, I was being play ornery with Hayden, I looked at her and told her I was going to flush her head today (a little game we like to play...no one ever gets their head stuck in the toilet for real,) she looked me right in the eyes and said "Waaaaaaaaa"! Someone cue Everybody was kung fu fighting...cuz it is on like Donkey Kong right now!

Dinner tonight was a "Skinny" one we haven't tried yet. We have kinda backed off the diet thing a bit, might even say I fell off the wagon and got run over by it...gotta get back on and rein it back in.
The Orange chicken makeover was really good! We have made a couple other orange chicken recipes (crock pot one, and baked one)...but this one is by far the favorite.
















Ingredients:

 For the Orange Sauce:
 1/3 cup freshly-squeezed orange juice
1/4 cup reduced sodium chicken broth
2 tbsp soy sauce (Tamari for gluten-free)
2 tbsp raw sugar
1 tbsp Chinese rice wine
1 tbsp sriracha, or more to taste
1 tbsp rice vinegar
1/4 teaspoon white pepper
2 teaspoons corn starch

 For the chicken:
 20 oz skinless, boneless chicken breast, cut into small cubes
kosher salt, to taste
1 1/2 tbsp corn starch
1 tbsp sesame oil
4 cloves minced garlic
1-inch grated ginger
1 teaspoon grated orange zest
2 tbsp chopped scallions
1/2 tsp sesame seeds, for garnish

Directions:

Mix the orange sauce ingredients and set aside.

Season the chicken lightly with salt and coat evenly with corn starch, set aside.
  
Heat a wok on high heat, add 1 teaspoon of sesame oil and add half of the chicken. Cook 2 to 3 minutes on each side until well browned, set aside. Add 1 teaspoon of oil and chicken and repeat cooking 2 to 3 minutes on each side. Set aside with the rest of the chicken.

Add remaining teaspoon of oil and quickly stir-fry the minced garlic and ginger until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the orange zest then return the chicken to the pan. Quickly stir the chicken then add the orange sauce and cook until the sauce thickens,about 1 to 2 minutes. Divide between 4 plates and garnish with the scallion and sesame seeds. 
3/4 cup of the chicken mixture is 288 calories and 9 grams of fat. 
We served it over soba noodles, which of course are extra.
Enjoy!

No comments: