Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Crock pot, you keep amazing me!

This was my oldest sons idea of "booby trapping" his bedroom. I heard him say something about booby trapping his room, just before he disappeared for 10 min, but I had no he was really intending to barricade his room LOL.

I cleaned the kids room while the trio were at school...they were happily surprised I heard lots of "Oh wow." Then I said, it better stay this way or everything is going in the trash...eye roll...now I am making empty threats. I can't stand their sad cries when I actually go in there with a garbage bag.
Can you guess how long their room stayed clean??? LOL.

 

I am an even bigger fan of my crock pot now, crock pot desserts, where have I been?!?!

Woohoo now I am super glad I own 3 crock pots. I could make an entire meal...main, side and dessert in crock pots. May have to try that one day LOL.

Slow-Cooker Berry Cobbler

Ingredients

  • 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour, divided *
  • 2 tablespoons plus 1 cup sugar, divided
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1 egg, lightly beaten
  • 1/4 cup fat-free milk
  • 2 tablespoons canola oil
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt
  • 2 cups fresh or frozen raspberries
  • 2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries, thawed ....All I had on hand was blackberries, so we did 4 cups of that.
  • Low-fat vanilla frozen yogurt, optional                                                                                                       *I made the mistake of using wheat flour, did not turn out quite as good as it could have. Next time I think I will use cake flour.

Directions


  • In a large bowl, combine 1 cup flour, 2 tablespoons sugar, baking powder and cinnamon. In a small bowl, combine the egg, milk and oil; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened (batter will be thick). Spread batter evenly onto the bottom of a 5-qt. slow cooker coated with cooking spray.
  • In a large bowl, combine the salt and remaining flour and sugar; add berries and toss to coat. Spread over batter.
  • Cover and cook on high for 2 to 2-1/2 hours or until a toothpick inserted into cobbler comes out clean. Serve with frozen yogurt if desired. Yield: 8 servings.
I had some help from the big kids, they love helping...can't wait until their helping actually makes things easier and/or faster LOL. I love it all the same :)


Gosh they are turning into such big kids on me...next time I turn around they are going to be preteens...eeekkk!



Even though this try didn't turn out because of the flour, this has serious ummy potential with all different kinds of fruit, we will be trying it again soon.

After dinner we worked on a little craft while the dessert cooked.




Haddie is very serious in her coloring. She tries the hardest to stay in the lines and get things fully colored. She even came up with this cute stripe pattern all on her own!



I helped everyone write their names. The girls don't need any help, except for now I realize we screwed up. Thanks to a teacher friend I now know teaching the triplets to write their names in all capital letters is going to make things harder for them later. So now we are working on our "baby letters," they are doing well, but I can already tell the caps thing is going to be a semi hard habit to break.


All done...I have been off my crafty game lately, hopefully this will kick my butt back into gear.








Then it was dessert time. The kids loved it...not a single complaint. As for me, I liked everything but the "cake" parts. Maybe it has just been a long time since I have had ice cream but dang the nonfat frozen yogurt was much better than I rememner it being LOL.

















Yup looks like a hit.















Oh my goodness Lily...always the messy one :)
Lily cracks me up. During dinner tonight, while telling me all about her favorite toys at school...the elephant family, she says "oh I can't wait to see my favorite elephant friends at school, they love my jokes." LOL.


No comments: