Friday, August 26, 2011

Craft fail.

I had the brilliant idea to try our hands at a new craft today....making fairy houses. Right up my girls alley right? They were so very excited. I thought we would use diaper boxes, Lord knows we have no shortage of those with 4 in diapers. I gathered up leaves and sticks and other stuff to decorate them with. I cut the door and window holes and ran into my first problem. How do I mask the diaper box. I decide to use construction paper and tape, mistake number 1. I taped brown and green paper to the box, it was already looking like crap but I figured hey it's supposed to be made by 3 year olds, just how good should it look LOL. The kids get in their seats and are all ready, and did I mention excited, to get to decorating. Problem number two. For some reason I never thought that good old Elmer's Glue wouldn't cut it...yeah I am pretty new to this whole crafty business so sue me. Mistake number 2, I drowned the box with glue and let the trio go crazy sticking leaves and sticks to it. They didn't stick...of course. I am not sure if I just didn't have enough patience, maybe it would have eventually dried and some of it would have stuck or maybe a hot glue gun is the answer. I think I need one regardless LOL. I just gotta say I love my kids, I tore all the crap off the boxes and told them I was sorry that it didn't work out, but they were already playing with their diaper fairy boxes...happily I might add. We will have to revisit this one when I have proper supplies or a better idea. Any of you super crafty people out there feel free to leave any suggestions on a way to do it that will work LOL!

Pics before I cried Uncle Ha.


Getting ready to decorate...they are so grabby when they get excited.


The girls were in charge of the leaf roof.


Xander went to work on the sticks.

This was as far as we got before I called it, everything was just falling off and I was getting so frustrated. I really hope I can do this right soon, the kids really loved the idea.


Thank goodness Jason bought everyone a little gift today. It helped take up the fairy house disaster slack. Welcome to our home Mr. and Mrs. Potato Head, and Dog and Kitty Potato Head's too!

Jericho was very please to meet the Potato Head's :)

Though the trio are really stingy with anything they feel is not a baby toy, poor Jericho.



He is not going to give up on joining their little group, he'll wear em down. I think once he is walking they may start seeing him as more of an equal and less of a baby. He has started playing ball with himself, he crawls after it hitting it out in front of him then crawls to it again and over and over it goes all around the living room. He has also started showing he is not all brawn but has real brains too. Today I was in the kitchen trying to clean up while the trio were napping. I had the gates open and saw Jericho making his way toward me. I closed the gate right infront of him, he was not happy but I figured he would stand there and bitch at me while I finished. Which he did, but only for a moment. Next thing I know he left the front gate and hauled butt down the hallway and right in through the other gate. I couldn't believe he did it but he sure did...my smart little man.

We did have a surprising good underpants day. We are so anxious to get the trio potty trained, but we are following their lead and so far they are not at all leading us that way. The last time we tried Hayden had a serious freak out when she peed her pants and cried for a diaper, and then wanted to be carried around like a baby for a good couple of days later. Well this morning, out of the blue she asked to wear undies. An hour later she sat on the potty once for about 10min did nothing but said she was done. 10min later she peed on the floor. Good news...this time she didn't totally freak out about it and start crying for a diaper. She actually asked to try again. She did have one other accident but she peed in the potty once too! This may be progress! Man I can not wait until the trio are out of diapers!


4 comments:

Twin Tornados said...

good luck with the potty training! I am half way through potty training my twins, they turned 3 in May, and One of them has been potty trained since the first of June, and the other is just now showing an interest. I'm hoping he catches on soon, I know how much we have spent on diapers/pull ups so i can only imagine having 4 in them! good luck!

TripMomma said...

Yay for having one down and one started! I don't even want to do the math on the diaper $, I think I would probably cry LOL.

Megan said...

I wish I could be as crafty as you... the kids would love it too! At least you tried. As for Jericho making his way into the "group", good luck with that... Jace is 18 months and still referred to as the "baby" and pushed out ALL the time. He does fight back though...just as rough as them. Good luck with potty training, it is great, all except for the 4 a.m. screams that they have to go potty! We tried 5 times and then FINALLY, we knew they were ready. Still have accidents here and there when they get lazy, but for the most part, we are all trained!

TripMomma said...

I was not at all the crafty type...I just do small easy things here and there. You should give it a try, you can do it :)
So glad Jace holds his own, I bet his 3 sisters can sure give him heck LOL.
Yay for you...I can only imagine how awesome it is to have them potty trained.