Thursday, February 13, 2014

Tasty treats!

The munchkins helped me make some tasty Valentine's Day treats this afternoon.
Yeah, I know, a Hallmark cheesy holiday. I typically agree...BUT, I do think a day that reminds us to make a special point to show someone we love them, when it can so often be forgotten or overlooked, is not so bad.

So this year Jason is getting a great card, and with some help from my crew, some yummy treats.
Ever see a cuter bunch of bakers? Me neither :)

The only issue is with so many people wanting to help...this turns into a very long process.

First up we make a batch of "Skinny" Pink lemonade confetti cupcakes.















If you want to give them a try you will need...

Ingredients:

18.25 oz box confetti cake mix, I used Duncan Hines
2 1/2 tsp powdered sugar-free pink lemonade mix **
1 cup water
1 tbsp vegetable oil
1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
lemon zest from half of a lemon **
2 drops pink/red food coloring (optional)
confetti sprinkles (optional)

Directions:

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line cupcake tins with 20-24 paper liners.

Stir together the water and pink lemonade powder.

Combine the cake mix, pink lemonade mixture, applesauce, lemon zest, food coloring and oil in a large bowl and with an electric mixer, mix until all the ingredients are thoroughly combined.

Pour the batter into the prepared cupcake pans. Add sprinkles if using and bake in the oven for 22 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cupcakes comes out clean.

Cool completely on wire racks before serving. 1 cupcake is 97 1/2 calories and 2 1/2 grams of fat.

**I found them to be a little too tart for me, the kids didn't seem to mind...Grandma and Great Aunt Julie will be Guinea Pigs for us tomorrow. Next time I make this I will reduce the amount of zest, and may try a raspberry lemonade instead of pink lemonade to reduce the tart.

They did such a great job...I think we are getting closer to being able to fly solo in the kitchen. The girls told me they want to make me breakfast in bed one day soon :)



I love how much more careful and precise the girls are with...well, everything LOL.

Looking good!

Ready to bake.

While our cupcakes were cooking the kiddos did a little sugar cookie decorating.

Why did I not know about the fabulous squeeze bottles before. This is so much better!

The only down side is the kids are sllooooowwwww, which means you can get a clog....which also means....

You can have a little explosion. Oh Noooo. Hahahaha, crud.

All done...they turned out pretty cute.

Even the ones that I kinda had to just do whatever I could to save them.


Yummy can't wait until tomorrow!

No comments: