Monday, November 4, 2013

Ah November.

I have been slacking, just a little, wow it is the 4th already. November....a month for remembering to be thankful for everything that you may just take for granted the other 335 days of the year. I did this whole 'Today I'm thankful for:' last year, I really liked it...so here we go again.
And since I am a little behind I will start with November 1st and catch up.

Day 1: I am thankful for my husbands job, and his amazing work ethic, which afford me the ability to stay home with my babies.

Day 2: I am thankful that my kids have an amazing, hands on, totally involved and loving Dad. They are some lucky kiddos!

Day 3: I'm thankful for my 4 children. They are everything good, funny and bright in my life. They also may or may not be responsible for my growing population of gray hairs...it's all good.

And for today....
Day 4: I am so thankful that we are able to provide for our children. Things are very hard for so many families right now, not that it is a cake walk for us but we are doing OK. When it is meal time and my kiddos are hungry I am so thankful that we have food to fill them up. When it is cold I am thankful we have clothes and coats to keep them warm. When we go outside I am thankful they have shoes that fit. When their hearts need a little pick me up I am thankful that we are right there armed with hugs and kisses and love. I am thankful they feel secure in our family and home, and they do not even question if the basics will be provided. I wish that every child on earth could have at least this much, and it breaks my heart that it is not so.

Xander had his speech class today, he has been doing a good job. As a treat he got to walk Nemo again today. He loves walking that dog.




























































His craft he made today during his OT portion of his class today. A fall tree made out of a paper bag and some leaf stickers. He was quite proud of it!
So Halloween, and my 1st goal..."get into my Catwoman costume", has come and gone. I am down a little over 15 lbs with just eating "skinny" and portion control.
I am down below what I was weighing when I got pregnant with the triplets...not quite pre fertility meds, but I think I can get there. If I keep on it. Maybe add in just a little exercise too. So, in honor of keeping on it, I give you tonight's FABULOUS, and I do me FABULOUS, dinner. Skinny Taste, this is another winner! OH man so good!


Slow cooked jerk pork with Caribbean salsa.

You need:
  • 3 lb boneless pork shoulder blade roast, lean, all fat removed
  • 6 cloves garlic, crushed
  • 2 - 3 tbsp Walkerswood Jerk Seasoning (I used mild)
  • 1/2 tsp coarse salt
  • 1 lime, squeezed
  • 1/2 cup fresh orange juice

For the Caribbean salsa:
  • 1 haas avocado, diced
  • 2 large ripe mangos, peeled, seeded and coarsely chopped
  • 1 1/2 tbsp chopped red onion
  • 1-2 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
  • 2-3 tbsp fresh lime juice 
  • salt and pepper, to taste
  • 1 can of pineapple chunks (optional, this was my own add...will add a few more calories)

Directions:
Using a sharp knife, cut slits into the pork and stuff holes with half of the crushed garlic.
Combine the remaining garlic, jerk seasoning, and salt, rub all over pork (you may want to wear gloves). Place in a large container, pour the lime and orange juice over the pork; cover and refrigerate 5 hours or overnight (we did overnight), turning pork occasionally so the marinade covers all of pork.

The next morning, put everything in the crock pot and cook on LOW for 9 hours. We only went 8 and it was perfect.


After 8-9 hours, remove pork and shred using two forks.

Remove liquid from crock pot and reserve. Add shredded pork back to the slow cooker. Add about 1 cup of the liquid back into the crock pot and taste for salt and pepper. Let it cook an additional 15 minutes.

Meanwhile make the  Caribbean salsa: combine all the ingredients in a bowl, season to taste with salt and pepper. Refrigerate salsa until ready to serve.

Serving size is 3 oz meat with 1/3 cup salsa, runs you 265 calories and 15 grams of fat.

Jason had his in a tortilla, with 1/8 cup of rice and some salad.

I had mine on a cup of salad with 1/8th cup of rice. I can not wait for left overs tomorrow!!! This one goes on the fave, must be made again, list! Try it, you won't be sorry.


No comments: