Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Stitches, trams and frozen goodness.

It has been 2 weeks since Xander had his little mole removal procedure. Today we got the stitches out. It looks good, Xander has managed to not break it back open, but the Doctor said it is still fragile so we are to keep having him take it easy for at least two more weeks. She called us a week ago to let us know the mole was benign...yay!

This leads me to my Day 5: I am thankful for my families health. When Xander and I were in the hospital for over 5 hours for his little surgery, there were so many kids in there for really major things. I am so thankful that even though the triplets were born 9 weeks early and at just 3 1/2 lbs each, they have thrived. I am thankful that even though Xander and Jericho are both wild daredevil boys neither have gotten themselves seriously injured. I am thankful that even though my husband seems to be a bit more accident prone than some, he has managed to walk away pretty sound from most of his mishaps. I am thankful we have always had access to great health care...hopefully that can continue.
Getting all the tape from his pile of bandages off was the hardest part. He was a trooper though.
After the stitches were out we took the munchkins on a little ride on the aerial tram. This was my second time going on it, but for everyone else this was all new. The tram was built is 2006, it travels a horizontal distance of 3,300 feet and a vertical distance of 500 feet in a ride that lasts three minutes each way, going about 22 miles per hour. I thought it was pretty neat that a sign pointed out it is safe in up to 50 mile per hour winds...I couldn't imagine being on this thing in windy conditions, it gets to rocking pretty good at the middle point without any wind.

Hayden was a little antsy about going on the tram, but with just a bit of pushing she got right on.

Everyone loved it once it got underway.



It is a pretty view...love all the Fall colors.

And on our way back down.

 Such a pretty city.
The kids all waved at the passing tram.
After the tram ride we decided to treat the crew to a little frozen yogurt.
Lots and lots of toppings...that Jason and I skipped like the good little diet soldiers we are, boo.

Mmm little man, what do you have there?!?! 

Another "skinny" dinner tonight. Crock pot Italian turkey meatball sammies with a healthy "tater" tot.
The meatballs will set you back 200 calories and 8 grams of fat for 4 meatballs with sauce.

You need:
  • 20 oz (1.3 lb) ground turkey breast 93% lean
  • 1/4 cup whole wheat seasoned breadcrumbs
  • 1/4 cup Reggiano Parmigiano cheese, grated
  • 1/4 cup parsley, finely chopped
  • 1 egg
  • 1 large clove garlic, crushed
  • 1 tsp kosher salt + fresh pepper
For the sauce:
  • 1 tsp olive oil
  • 4 cloves garlic, smashed
  • 28 oz cans crushed tomatoes
  • 1 bay leaf
  • salt and fresh pepper to taste
  • 1/4 cup fresh chopped basil or parsley

Directions:

In a large bowl, combine ground turkey, breadcrumbs, egg, parsley, garlic and cheese. Using clean hands, mix all the ingredients and form small meatballs, about 1/8th cup each.

In a small saute pan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add garlic and saute until golden, being careful not to burn. 

Pour crushed tomatoes into the crock pot with bay leaf. Add garlic and oil.

Drop meatballs into the sauce, cover and set crock pot to low, 4 to 6 hours. When meatballs are ready, adjust salt and pepper to taste and add fresh chopped basil or parsley.
We had them on 70 calorie mini slider buns open face or you can serve with ricotta, over pasta or enjoy with French bread.















The Cauliflower Tots. These were good, you almost couldn't taste that there was no potato in these...seriously.

You need:

2 cups cooked cauliflower florets, finely chopped
1 large egg
1 large egg white
1/2 cup onion, minced
3 tbsp minced fresh parsley
1/2 cup reduced fat sharp cheddar cheese, grated
1/2 cup seasoned breadcrumbs
salt and pepper to taste
cooking spray

Directions: Preheat oven to 400°F. Spray a nonstick cookie sheet with cooking spray.

In a medium bowl, combine all of the ingredients and season with salt and pepper to taste.

Spoon 1 tablespoon of mixture in your hands and roll into small ovals. Place on the cookie sheet and bake for 16-18 minutes, turning halfway through cooking until golden.
8 tots run you 148 calories and 5 grams of fat.

Yummy dinner!
I am strangely proud to announce, after more than two stops and starts, where I swore off ever watching the show again, I have finally gotten through season one and two of The Walking Dead. I pretty much just "watch" with my ears, but it works. Go me! I'm getting a lot of use out of my Bday T-shirt from my mother in law :)
Bring on season 3!

I will add this as Day 5 1/2: I am thankful a zombie apocalypse is never going to really happen...right...I hope....PLEASE! LOL.

No comments: